Yangon, August (17)

Although tanker ships have docked at Yangon’s Thilawa Port, the military council’s quota system is causing a delay in fuel supplies, fuel traders told Than Lwin Times.

Due to the military council’s control over the dollar exchange rate and quota system for the distribution of fuel since August 10, the country is facing a fuel shortage, and most of the people are queuing up to buy fuel.

The petroleum tankers arrived at Yangon’s Thilawa Port on August 14 and 15, according to General Zaw Min Tun, spokesman for the military council, and reportedly unloaded almost 1,300,000 gallons of oil.

A gas supplier said that the military regime prioritized fuel distribution to Nay Pyi Taw, Yangon, and Mandalay, so some states and regions are having trouble in getting fuel.

The Central Committee on Ensuring Smooth Flow of Trade and Goods announced that enough fuel has been distributed to be able to use until the end of August via Supervisory Committee on Import, Storage and Distribution of Fuel Oil.

The authorities also said that if the filling stations stop selling or sell only a limited amount, people can file a complaint to the relevant region and state.

A fuel supplier said, “Although the military council said they are selling enough oil, but there is a shortage because there is no oil left to sell at the gas stations. The departmental officials came to inspect the gas stations. If the stations do not sell gasoline while keeping their fuel supply, they will be forced to take action. “

Myanmar can only produce about 10% of its domestic fuel needs, with the remaining 90% imported from abroad.

Fuel prices have been rising continuously since August 10, and currently, the price of a liter of octane 92 has jumped to over 2,400 kyats.

However, people continue to suffer from the fuel crisis because they cannot purchase gasoline as much as they need, with ever increasing prices.

News – Than Lwin Times

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *