Laukki, 13 December

The military council, which has lost ground due to the offensive of the Three Brotherhood Alliance, met with the three ethnic armed groups with the intervention of China and which cannot have any effect on the revolution, said political analysts.

The military regime announced on December 11 that officials from the peace-making committee and officials from the Myanmar National Democratic Alliance Army (MNDAA), the Ta’ang National Liberation Army (TNLA), and the Arakan Army (AA) met with the help of China regarding the ongoing fighting.

However, the military council did not reveal details on when, where, and what topics were discussed, as well as the outcomes.

The junta spokesman, General Zaw Min Tun, stated that they had met with ethnic armed forces to discuss a political solution and that they would continue to discuss the situation by the end of December after monitoring progress.

On the other hand, the military council only discussed and negotiated with the MNDAA, and there are also reports that the military council forces in Laukkai town will leave the area and that the two sides will temporarily cease fire until the end of December.

U Than Soe Naing, a military and political analyst, said, “The MNDAA will easily seize Laukkai without a serious fight, so they negotiated with the military council and agreed to a 15-day ceasefire. This has no reason to affect nationwide Spring Revolution.”

The three ethnic groups announced at midnight on December 11 that they are waging a war without stopping for a single day to fulfill the military and political goals announced since the start of Operation 1027 and to eradicate the military.

Starting in late October, the MNDAA declared war on the military council and launched Operation 1027 with the revolutionary forces that emerged from the Spring Revolution, including the Three Brotherhood Alliance, the TNLA and the AA.

Within a month and a half of the launch of Operation 1027, the MNDAA captured six towns, three Sino-Myanmar border trading gates, and over 200 military bases in the Kokang region of Northern Shan State.

Military observers pointed out that the MNDAA had only Laukkai town left to occupy in the Kokang region, and the military council negotiated with the MNDAA to allow the soldiers and family members from the Laukkai regional command and the artillery to leave.

A spokesperson for the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs told the media on December 11 that the meeting between the military council and the Three Brotherhood Alliance had yielded good results and that the Chinese government would continue to provide assistance till the talks ended.

The Three Brotherhood Alliance, MNDAA, the TNLA and AA have yet to make an official statement about their meeting with the peace-making committee of the military council.

General Tun Myat Naing, president of the United League of Arakan/Arakan Army (ULA/AA), wrote on his Facebook account on the night of December 11, “We are not at the stage of listening to everything they say. They have to listen to what we say. If it doesn’t meet their expectations, the meeting is pointless.”

Veteran politician U Pe Than said, “The MNDAA will be able to control the areas it has currently occupied, and this fight will not stop there. MNDAA will be on the side of the revolution. We see MNDAA meeting with the military council about its rights and crisis. The MNDAA is on its way home, and the AA and the TNLA have yet to reach an agreement with the military council.”

Although the military council and the Chinese government officially stated that they had met and discussed with the Three Brotherhood Alliance, military and political circles say that only the MNDAA negotiated with the military council.

Than Lwin Times contacted MNDAA and AA spokespersons via Telegram about the talks between the military council and the Three Brotherhood Alliance, but they didn’t answer.

Six months ago, the military council and the Brotherhood Alliance met in Mong La, Special Region 4 of northern Shan State, through China’s intervention, but the talks had to be called off on the second day with no results.

News-Than Lwin Times


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *